Today is officially fruitcake day!! As you eat your delicious cake, try and keep it to yourself, as your favorite four legged buddy should not eat it. If you are wondering why, well, not only the alcohol contained in these dense cakes can cause a problem, but if it doesn’t the raisins, currants and yeast most definitely will.
Raisins and currants can be highly toxic to your dog’s kidney. Certain breeds are more sensitive than others and since scientists have yet to figure out which toxin is the culprit, it’s best to beware. Dogs that are affected can end up with potentially fatal acute renal (kidney) failure. If you would like to read more on how fruitcake is hazardous to your dogs health, click here.